- Zavala offers a parent room with monthly classes in cooking, nutrition, and community resources. Call 512-414-2318 and ask for our parent support specialist (Jennifer Hernandez).
- Our campus also provides Communities in Schools for selected families.
- We are a title one school that also offers:
- Project HELP (Hope & Empowerment ~ Leveraging Possibilities)
Project HELP's mission is to ensure the educational rights and protections due under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act to all students experiencing homelessness.
Three primary goals of Project HELP include: (1) providing services to an increasing number of Austin ISD students under McKinney-Vento, (2) maintaining partnerships/collaborations with our many community resource collaborators, and (3) ensuring our service strategies are student-centered and aligned with students foremost being academically successful.
Homeless Children and Youth under the McKinney-Vento Act
Who are Homeless Children and Unaccompanied Youth?
McKinney-Vento Act (Section 725) identifies homeless children and youth as those who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence. Key provisions in identifying homeless children and youth include, but are not limited to:
- Doubled-up with other persons due to loss of housing, hardship or similar reason
- Living in motels, outdoor/public spaces, substandard housing or similar settings
- Living in shelters (emergency or transitional) or transitional housing programs
- Migratory children who are living in any of the above circumstances
Lupe Ochoa, Project Supervisor
Direct Line: (512) 414-6748
Bowie High School Vertical Team
Crockett High School Vertical Team
Eastside/International High Schools Vertical Team